Thinking of sneaking a table snack to the furry children in the household? It’s best to show some restraint regardless of how ‘soulful’ Fido or Felicia’s eyes get.
Much of what is served at holiday dinners is simply too rich for our furry children. Such foods so far from their usual fare can cause dangerous indigestion, food poisoning, vomiting and diarrhea. To say nothing of the added calories. Items to especially avoid:
All treats which may have chocolate, raisins or grapes, and all sweets (which might have Xylitol) including all cookies and desserts.
No leftover bones of any kind.
No fats or skin.
If you or your guests insist on “just a little treat”, keep the total amount of “treat” to less than 1/10th of the calories you normally feed them. It’s important to avoid both upsetting their digestive systems as well as to avoid all the extra calories.
Don’t leave any holiday foods unattended or within reach.
If you’d like to prepare special holiday foods just for Fido and Felicia, we recommend these recipes at:
From all of us here at the clinic to all of you and your furry family members. Enjoy the Holidays!